• 4:00 PM - 9:00 PM

Closed now

Upcoming Special Hours

You Might Also Consider

Sponsored
    Natsumi Sushi & Seafood Buffet
    3.6 (600 reviews)

5.4 miles away from Chef JUN

Y P. said"My husband has passed this place many times driving Uber/Lyft. We finally came down from Oceanside to try it out. Food was good. Messy floors but with amount of traffic in & out of there its understandable I suppose. The desserts…"read more

in Seafood, Buffets, Sushi Bars

Nishiki Ramen - Kearny Mesa
    4.2 (2.5k reviews)

3.9 miles away from Chef JUN

René C. said"I've been here several times and for some reason this is the first time I write a review. The place is dated, it feels old and the lighting doesn't help so I think it needs some renovations. My main issue with this place is that…"read more

in Noodles, Ramen

Amenities and More

About the Business

We are your San Diego neighborhood sushi/Japanese restaurant. Our head chef Myungchul Jun brings a mix of traditional and modern japanese dishes and adds delicious creativity to fresh fish prepared daily.…

Ask the Community

• Q:

Do you offer happy hour?

A:

Every Wednesday we have $3 Japanese draft beer happy hour all day. Thank you

Haley Y., Business Owner 
      2 years ago
    • Q:

Do you have outdoor seating options?

A:

Yes we have a patio

Haley Y., Business Owner 
      2 years ago

Recommended Reviews

Photo of Username
    Username
    Choose a star rating on a scale of 1 to 5
    • 1 star rating
      Not good
    • 2 star rating
      Could’ve been better
    • 3 star rating
      OK
    • 4 star rating
      Good
    • 5 star rating
      Great
    Start your review of Chef JUN

Overall rating

484 reviews

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

1 star

• Photo of Emily H.
      Emily H.
      San Diego, CA
      Apr 22, 2024

A hidden gem!

Super fresh and tasty sushi. Excellent service and always plenty of seating. Love this place for a casual date night!

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Jenny Z.
      Jenny Z.
      San Diego, CA
      Apr 14, 2024

Visited Chef Jun on a weeknight around 7PM. There is plenty of parking in the lot. The place was spacious but packed. Fortunately, we were seated quickly @ the bar. We were able to place our order right away, but every dish took about 15-20 minutes to arrive. In total, we were here for over 1.5 hours.

I ordered the Jun San ($48) from the Kappo by Jun section, which I initially thought was fairly priced to taste a variety of food. However, considering the time it took for each dish to come, and each being a small bite/portion, this menu selection truly left a lot to be desired.

The 4 pc chef-choice sushi was brilliantly crafted and were all so unique. Really hard to choose a favorite. I love oshizushis, and was thrilled that this order came with salmon oshis. The bites were tiny, but so delicious. We received the negi-toro as our chef-choice hand roll and it was beautifully presented.

Everything was yummy, but I would only recommend coming here if you have a lot of time to spare, and order a couple extra appetizers for the in between wait.

Helpful 2
      Thanks 0
      Love this 1
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Jay S.
      Jay S.
      Saratoga, CA
      Apr 12, 2024
      Seated via Yelp Reservations

Truly outstanding. Service was amazing, with detailed explanation of the extensive (and reasonably priced) menu and great monitoring of our needs and rush to help out. For example my wife dropped her chopsticks and from across the room a waitress not even assigned to our table rushed over to replace them!

There are four tiers of what is essentially omakase. For the third highest tier, we got really outstanding dishes including a fresh scallop in mango sauce and raspberry and a super buttery thin slice of lightly toasted fish on rice. Truffle slices and truffle salt was used in three separate presentations (not just in the omakase). The excellent waiter advised that the kitchen would gladly modify dishes, so for example when we expressed a preference for aburi (lightly toasted) belly sushi, that was done for three of our omakase pieces.

We loved this so much -- and we are extremely picky sushi eaters from San Francisco and New York City--that we made a reservation for tomorrow as well!

Totally recommend.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 1
    • Photo of Chaitra M.
      Chaitra M.
      San Diego, CA
      Jun 1, 2024
      1 check-in

My new favorite spot in SD for sushi! A friend of mine if obsessed with this place and had only had takeout from here the many times she had gotten it, so we finally decided to go in for sit down. We already love the takeout quality and were blown away with how it got even better at the restaurant. We love this place to say the least. All the rolls are delicious. My tops are for sure the orange , sunrise and avati. On top of the delicious food, our waiter was just so helpful, attentive and accommodating to our needs. The ambience here is fun for a sushi date or nice dinner with friends. Would recommend a reservation, we had a group of 5 on a Friday night and made a reservation in advance. It did get a little crowded inside and a few parties waiting outside. Parking is also a little chaotic in the lot, but there is some street parking.

Fire fire, Avati, Hawaiian, Alaska Sunrise, Orange, Vegas, Philly Roll
      Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of David I.
      David I.
      San Diego, CA
      Jun 1, 2024
      2 check-ins

I have been to a few Sushi places in the PB area, and Chef Jun is my go to place, not impossible to get into, and the staff is friendly. Most importantly the Rolls and Nigiri Sushi is fresh, tasty and at a reasonable cost. We started with the house salad, they were kind enough to split it into two bowls. The salad dressing is delicious, so much so, the sell it to take home. We got the lemon roll which was great, it had a nice touch of lemon zest to give it a citrusy kick. The tuna, salmon, yellowtail and albacore was a good portion, and has the right mix between rice and fish.

Orange Roll, Toro Nigiri sake nigiri, Yellowtail Nigiri, Albacore Nigiri
      Sushi
      Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Bob W.
      Bob W.
      El Cajon, CA
      May 29, 2024
      Seated via Yelp Reservations

The food, service and ambiance are really good. Had a couple of rolls that were delicious and well made. The sashimi was thinly sliced though very fresh.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Kristen W.
      Kristen W.
      San Diego, CA
      Mar 29, 2024

We saw the many raving reviews and decided to try it out. Even with the more affordable prices, I will never come here again.

We ordered the Jun Sama. The fish itself was average and didn't have any depth in flavor. There's also a seared salmon pressed sushi dish with lots of mayo so you don't really taste the seared salmon.

The WORST thing I have ever eaten at any sushi restaurant was the jumbo scallops in a mango puree dish here. It was horrible. The purée was slightly warm and completely overtook the taste of scallops. And then on top of it they added a fresh blueberry. WHAT?! I was appalled they ruined perfectly good scallops. That was the final straw for me lmao

I'm giving 3 stars because the service was nice, it was easy to make a reservation, parking was easy and fish was decent for the price, but not enough to make me want to come back.

Half udon
      Assorted sashimi
      Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Huong T.
      Huong T.
      Chula Vista, CA
      May 30, 2024

Very friendly and nice sushi spot. We were seated in the patio which looks new and clean. The sever was very attentive and fast. The good was delicious well.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Hieu V.
      Hieu V.
      Richmond, TX
      May 16, 2024

food and service were excellent. My dad was happy. located in small
      plaza but cozy and warm place for sushi.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Nadine W.
      Nadine W.
      San Diego, CA
      Mar 3, 2024

We went to Chef Jun for lunch - Great atmosphere- a really cute place - service was good. Prices were fair - we tried the Sashimi lunch special which was fresh- generous cuts of fish and very fast.

Not pictured we have the seared gundaru which was delicious -

Helpful 0
      Thanks 2
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0

22 other reviews that are not currently recommended

You Might Also Consider

Sponsored
    369 Ramen & Chinese Food
    3.8 (442 reviews)

Nana A. said"Went there with my family for dinner last night. They don't have a great setup when a table wants both poke and to order from the menu. Let me explain.... (first of all we were the only ones in the restaurant at the time. My husband…"read more

in Chinese, Poke, Ramen

Nishiki Ramen - Hillcrest
    4.2 (857 reviews)

5.8 miles away from Chef JUN

James W. said"This is an updated review. The first experience was just "okay." However, the owner reached out to me via Yelp, refunded me, and gave me a gift card to give them another try. The gift card hasn't influenced my opinion, other than…"read more

in Ramen, Noodles

Collections Including Chef JUN

People Also Viewed

Chef JUN is a Yelp advertiser.