Sun

• 4:00 PM - 9:00 PM

Open now

You Might Also Consider

Sponsored
    Nishiki Ramen - Kearny Mesa
    4.0 (2.5k reviews)

3.9 miles away from Chef JUN

René C. said"I've been here several times and for some reason this is the first time I write a review. The place is dated, it feels old and the lighting doesn't help so I think it needs some renovations. My main issue with this place is that…"read more

in Ramen, Noodles

Nishiki Ramen - Hillcrest
    4.0 (848 reviews)

5.8 miles away from Chef JUN

Angelina C. said"I'll start off by saying that the staff at this location are much more friendly than the Armour St location in Kearny Mesa. We visited on a Saturday evening, around 5:30 pm. To our surprise, it was not too busy. The host stated that…"read more

in Ramen, Noodles

Amenities and More

About the Business

We are your San Diego neighborhood sushi/Japanese restaurant. Our head chef Myungchul Jun brings a mix of traditional and modern japanese dishes and adds delicious creativity to fresh fish prepared daily.…

Ask the Community

• Q:

Do you offer happy hour?

A:

Every Wednesday we have $3 Japanese draft beer happy hour all day. Thank you

Haley Y., Business Owner 
      1 year ago
    • Q:

Do you have outdoor seating options?

A:

Yes we have a patio

Haley Y., Business Owner 
      2 years ago

Recommended Reviews

Photo of Username
    Username
    Choose a star rating on a scale of 1 to 5
    • 1 star rating
      Not good
    • 2 star rating
      Could’ve been better
    • 3 star rating
      OK
    • 4 star rating
      Good
    • 5 star rating
      Great
    Start your review of Chef JUN

Overall rating

470 reviews

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

1 star

• Photo of Emily H.
      Emily H.
      San Diego, CA
      Apr 22, 2024

A hidden gem!

Super fresh and tasty sushi. Excellent service and always plenty of seating. Love this place for a casual date night!

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Jenny Z.
      Jenny Z.
      San Diego, CA
      Apr 14, 2024

Visited Chef Jun on a weeknight around 7PM. There is plenty of parking in the lot. The place was spacious but packed. Fortunately, we were seated quickly @ the bar. We were able to place our order right away, but every dish took about 15-20 minutes to arrive. In total, we were here for over 1.5 hours.

I ordered the Jun San ($48) from the Kappo by Jun section, which I initially thought was fairly priced to taste a variety of food. However, considering the time it took for each dish to come, and each being a small bite/portion, this menu selection truly left a lot to be desired.

The 4 pc chef-choice sushi was brilliantly crafted and were all so unique. Really hard to choose a favorite. I love oshizushis, and was thrilled that this order came with salmon oshis. The bites were tiny, but so delicious. We received the negi-toro as our chef-choice hand roll and it was beautifully presented.

Everything was yummy, but I would only recommend coming here if you have a lot of time to spare, and order a couple extra appetizers for the in between wait.

Helpful 2
      Thanks 0
      Love this 1
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Jay S.
      Jay S.
      Saratoga, CA
      Apr 12, 2024
      Seated via Yelp Reservations

Truly outstanding. Service was amazing, with detailed explanation of the extensive (and reasonably priced) menu and great monitoring of our needs and rush to help out. For example my wife dropped her chopsticks and from across the room a waitress not even assigned to our table rushed over to replace them!

There are four tiers of what is essentially omakase. For the third highest tier, we got really outstanding dishes including a fresh scallop in mango sauce and raspberry and a super buttery thin slice of lightly toasted fish on rice. Truffle slices and truffle salt was used in three separate presentations (not just in the omakase). The excellent waiter advised that the kitchen would gladly modify dishes, so for example when we expressed a preference for aburi (lightly toasted) belly sushi, that was done for three of our omakase pieces.

We loved this so much -- and we are extremely picky sushi eaters from San Francisco and New York City--that we made a reservation for tomorrow as well!

Totally recommend.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 1
    • Photo of Kristen W.
      Kristen W.
      San Diego, CA
      Mar 29, 2024

We saw the many raving reviews and decided to try it out. Even with the more affordable prices, I will never come here again.

We ordered the Jun Sama. The fish itself was average and didn't have any depth in flavor. There's also a seared salmon pressed sushi dish with lots of mayo so you don't really taste the seared salmon.

The WORST thing I have ever eaten at any sushi restaurant was the jumbo scallops in a mango puree dish here. It was horrible. The purée was slightly warm and completely overtook the taste of scallops. And then on top of it they added a fresh blueberry. WHAT?! I was appalled they ruined perfectly good scallops. That was the final straw for me lmao

I'm giving 3 stars because the service was nice, it was easy to make a reservation, parking was easy and fish was decent for the price, but not enough to make me want to come back.

Half udon
      Assorted sashimi
      Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Nadine W.
      Nadine W.
      San Diego, CA
      Mar 3, 2024

We went to Chef Jun for lunch - Great atmosphere- a really cute place - service was good. Prices were fair - we tried the Sashimi lunch special which was fresh- generous cuts of fish and very fast.

Not pictured we have the seared gundaru which was delicious -

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Nancy I.
      Nancy I.
      San Diego, CA
      Feb 10, 2024
      Updated review
      7 check-ins

Another great sushi night. I am constantly impressed with the quality of the fish here. The wait staff is always happy to see me and recognize me as a regular which makes me feel special.

My only complaint from my last visit is that the rice balls on my nigiri were too small. If I wanted sashimi, I would have ordered sashimi. We tried the soft shell crab cut roll, and the feet were tucked inside the roll, which I am sure many people appreciate, but I like to bite them off first.

I like the seating options because we get to sit next to each other. Two of the tables even have a little cubby in the wall for the bench seat.

Tuna and Salmon Nigiri and a soft shell crab cut roll.
      Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
      Sep 30, 2023Previous review
      Nov 22, 2022Previous review
    • Photo of Nick S.
      Nick S.
      AZ, AZ
      Apr 20, 2024
      1 check-in

Great sashimi, nigiri, and temaki that tasted fresh! I got the Jun Kun Kappo, which is kind of like an omakase sampler of everything. The server was very quick and courteous! Very classy casual ambiance perfect for company outings, dates, or dinner with friends!

Jun Kun Kappo!
      Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Linh N.
      Linh N.
      San Diego, CA
      Jan 20, 2024

Hands down the best spot in San Diego to get sashimi and omakase. They deserve more hype!

Huge plus that it also has a pet-friendly patio where staff will bring your pup water and even treats sometimes!

I've been here twice and was thoroughly impressed both times. The price is great for the quality of sashimi and it's paired with amazing service and hospitality all around

Their specials are inexpensive for a lot of food!

Helpful 1
      Thanks 0
      Love this 2
      Oh no 1
    • Photo of Natalie T.
      Natalie T.
      San Diego, CA
      Jan 2, 2024

20/10 amazing. Came here today with a friend and got the sushi kaidon for 2 and it was literally unreal fresh. The quality, flavors, and fish types the chefs chose were sooooo spot on. There were 12 two piece nigiri
      Sets, about four 3-4 piece sashimi sets, salmon oishi with 8 pieces, 2 fried shrimp heads, miso soup, 2 negitoro hand rolls, and 4 pieces of uni over rice. Literally everything was too good. My sushi dream came true today. We were going to do an omakase somewhere else but it was closed so we came here instead and it was WAY better than what we probably would have had! Definately will be back

Helpful 1
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Jake C.
      Jake C.
      Clairemont, San Diego, CA
      Apr 17, 2024

Plz order the salmon oshi - that is a must here because it's so damn good. This has become one of my favorite sushi places. Amazing service as well - they always make spot on recommendations! Dont hesitate to ask for them

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0

22 other reviews that are not currently recommended

You Might Also Consider

Sponsored
    Pelicana Chicken
    4.5 (644 reviews)

3.6 miles away from Chef JUN

Vanessa T. said"King of fried chicken indeed! So crispy and juicy, very flavorful as well. You can take the chicken to go and they are still crispy after 1 hour."read more

in Beer Bar, Korean, Chicken Wings

Harmony Cuisine 2B1
    5.0 (219 reviews)

3.6 miles away from Chef JUN

Kelly .. said"Are there such thing as 10 stars??? This place has the top notch sashimis! Everything here from the appetizers and main courses are bomb! It's a little on the pricier side, but let me tell you, it is worth it!"read more

in Japanese, Sushi Bars

Collections Including Chef JUN

People Also Viewed

Chef JUN is a Yelp advertiser.